Thursday, July 20, 2006

Book 'Em

Sorry, folks, but I've just been too busy to post the last couple of days. In fact, it's already past my bedtime, but I thought I owed y'all something. So I present what is quite likely the most exciting opening titles in television history. It's not just Morton Stevens' classic theme, which is terrific, but also the imagery and the way it's all cut to the music. HAWAII FIVE-0 was, I believe, the first network TV series to film exclusively in Hawaii, and these titles reflect the mystery and exotica of our 50th state. Noted director Reza S. Badiyi (Jennifer Jason Leigh's stepfather) created this title sequence, which was so terrific that it never really changed, outside of rotating cast members, in 12 seasons, although the theme would usually get a new arrangement every year.

Gotta love that dramatic swooping shot on Jack Lord.

Has any other TV theme been covered as many times as HAWAII FIVE-0? I think I have about a dozen different versions on iTunes.

No comments: