QUINCY starred Jack Klugman as a Los Angeles County coroner who somehow managed to embroil himself in a different murder every week. Most episodes were pretty much the same:
- A corpse rolls into the morgue
- The cops/doctors/politicians believe it to be either an accident or natural causes
- Quincy suspects a murder, even though there's little/no evidence to support his hunch
- Quincy gets yelled at by cops/hospital administrators to let it lie
- Quincy shouts. A lot.
- Quincy defies orders and secretly investigates the possible crime.
- Quincy's boss bitches about how much money his extracurricular activities are costing the county
- Quincy gets his sidekick Sam (Robert Ito) to work late/lie about Quincy's activities
- Quincy is right. Quincy is always right
After all that, you're probably expecting to see a Klugman clip. Instead, it's QUINCY: CARTOON CORONER, one of my favorite SCTV sketches in which Quincy (Joe Flaherty) investigates the death of Sylvester the Cat, who comes into the morgue all smashed like a pancake. Dave Thomas plays Quincy's officious boss, and Tony Rosato is Sam. What really makes this sketch kill is Flaherty's amazing performance as Klugman/Quincy. He really nails the psychosis of Klugman's bellowing (and highly charismatic) performances.