Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Nerd Herd

NBC's CHUCK is my favorite new show of the fall season. Okay, so I've only seen a handful of new shows, but CHUCK is officially my favorite. It's THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (if that show was centered around the civilian sidekicks spies Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin recruited in every episode) updated for the 21st century.

I wrote about my favorable impression of the pilot in an earlier post, but another reason I'm really digging this well-crafted combination of slacker comedy and campy spy action is its opening titles. Yep, not only is CHUCK a throwback to the light action shows of the 1970s and '80s, but it's also one of the few current hour shows to feature a full-fledged title sequence. It's funky, happy and fully encapsulates the style and tone of the show. Set to Cake's "Short Skirt/Long Jacket," here's CHUCK:

No comments: